February 10, 2012

Oscar Photos


Vanessa Redgrave takes home a 1978 Best Supporting Actress award for her work in "Julia", but not before managing to cause a stir in the audience. She had been boycotted by the Jewish Defense League because of her participation in a documentary film entitled "The Palestinian"

Here's what she said in her acceptance speech:

"My dear colleagues, I thank you very much for this tribute to my work. I think that Jane Fonda and I have done the best work of our lives, and I think this is in part due to our director, Fred Zinnemann. And I also think it's in part because we believed and we believe in what we were expressing--two out of millions who gave their lives and were prepared to sacrifice everything in the fight against fascist and racist Nazi Germany. And I salute you, and I pay tribute to you, and I think you should be very proud that in the last few weeks you've stood firm, and you have refused to be intimidated by the threats of a small bunch of Zionist hoodlums whose behavior is an insult to the stature of Jews all over the world and their great and heroic record of struggle against fascism and oppression. And I salute that record and I salute all of you for having stood firm and dealt a final blow against that period when Nixon and McCarthy launched a worldwide witch-hunt against those who tried to express in their lives and their work the truth that they believe in. I salute you and I thank you and I pledge to you that I will continue to fight against anti-Semitism and fascism."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...